It took several steps to get right but having quality products like Secret Weapon Miniatures pigments and The Army Painter spray and bottle paints made a big difference in the overall outcome. As mentioned in my previous post I used The Army Painter Wolf Grey spray base/primer followed up by a coat of their Daemonic Yellow spray applied to carefully masked areas. Those areas were again masked off for a coat of black.
At the time of my last post I had left off with my first layer of weathering. In the first picture below I have applied the second layer of weathering. I used a blend of Secret Weapon Miniatures rust tones mixed in water. Using the same technique I used for The Army Painter Dark Ink, I applied a line of this rust mix to the underside of all overhanging edges and then dragged that downwards with a dry brush. For the bronze areas I applied some aqua color paint to the areas and then wiped away the excess with a sponge. After applying this technique to all sides I went over it all again with the Dark Ink. The idea here was that by applying layers of weathering it would look more natural than a single application.
After finishing my weathering it was time to add the "burn" effect caused by orbital insertion. I started by lightly sanding the hard edges around the base. I then dry brushed some Citadel Chainmail to these rough edges.
Using some black craft paint I mixed up a dark wash and sponged it onto the lower portions of the model around the door hinges. I rested the model on it's top and dragged the wash down the model. I then went back and using a dry sponge wiped away some of the excess. I repeated this process again with the black wash and once more with The Army Painter Dark Tone. This process was also applied to the upper ailerons as well. After I was happy with it all I applied multiple coats of clear matte varnish to seal it all in place for tabletop play.