2017 Year in Review
2017 started out promising in the way of hobby progress. I started to organize my space work space with the addition of some Vallejo paint racks. I made some progress on an Ordos Xenos army, and even completed a Kroot Mercenary which went on to win at the IPMS Nationals. In addition to the IPMS Nationals I attended the Best of the West and Valley Con model shows, taking awards at each. I didn't get much else done in the way of model building but I wrapped up the year with some major home improvements including the design of a new hobby room. In the middle of all that I managed to pay off all me debt (except for the house), get a promotion at work, complete several home improvement projects, and welcomed a new baby boy!
2018 Goals and PlansWhile 2017 was a year of home improvement and life altering changes, I'm looking to find a new normal in 2018. I have a couple of closets in the garage full of model kits, some new, many in various stages of completion. I want to put a dent in my collection this year and I think that regularly attending my local IPMS meetings, and competing at several model shows will help to keep me motivated. There is nothing quite like a looming deadline to light a fire under my butt.
A model show is a great opportunity to set a deadline, display my work, and get some critical feedback on my work. This year I plan on attending at a minimum:
- January 13th - Scorpfest 2018 Tucson, AZ
- March 4th - Valley Con 2018 Los Angeles, CA
- May 5th - Best of the West 2018 Las Vegas, NV
- August 1st-4th - IPMS Nationals 2018 Phoenix, AZ
- November 3rd - Modelzona 2018 Mesa, AZ
I've got a lot of partially completed projects and I'd like to get a few of those finished this year. There are a few other new models I plan on starting and, as you'll note, I plan on diversifying my skill set this year by including a few autos and other non-warhammer builds.
- Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper (started)
- This is a 1979 kit. I started it last year but I'm not happy with the initial paint job. I'll be doing a bit more putty work before restarting the paint on this one.
- Ready Player One De Lorean (started)
- I LOVE the novel by Ernest Cline. I have purchased a Back to the Future II De Lorean kit from Aoshima and plan on building it accurate to the novel including a functioning KIT light bar.
- Skaven Army (started)
- I started this army last year using the "Start Collecting Box" along with a couple of additional acquisitions. I plan on building a display board for this army. After it has completed the model show circuit I will be sending it to a friend.
- Duff Beer Wagon (started)
- My father bought me a Monogram Tom Daniel Beer Wagon kit complete with a custom set of Duff Beer stickers. I'm looking forward to completing this kit, I've already done some extensive customization including a scratch built bed with real wood planks.
- Star Trek Space Ship Set (started)
- I picked up this 1976 AMT set of 3 small models at the IPMS nationals. It was partially assembled when I purchased it.
- This amazing anime tank from Zoukei-Mura Inc. was another gift from my father. I'm excited to see how this extremely detailed kit comes out.
- I hope to have last year's holiday model completed in time for Modelzona next November.
- Roboute Guilliman
- What can I say? This is one hell of a figure. I'm sure he'll be a blast to paint.